It is with renewable energy systems that our society will get off the death spiral that is fossil fuels.
- About Renewable-Energy
California Rule 21 requiring smart inverters and energy storage in California
- INTERIM DECISION ADOPTING REVISIONS TO ELECTRIC TARIFF RULE 21 FOR PACIFIC GAS AND ELECTRIC COMPANY, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EDISON COMPANY, AND SAN DIEGO GAS & ELECTRIC COMPANY TO REQUIRE 'SMART' INVERTERS CPUC Decision 14-12-035 December 18, 2014 - requires smart inverters be used with solar installations
- California Rule 21 - Smart Inverters for a Distributed Energy Resources decision This is the decision in the Rule 21 process which opens the door to distributed energy resources becoming a major part of the smart grid in California. It mandates 'smart inverters' that contain communication capability, so that DER's can be coordinated by utility companies. It mandates local energy storage so each DER can send/receive electricity as needed.
Distributed Energy Resources
DER Business Plan
- DER Aggregator Business: the Finnish Case Analysis from Finland of the business model for DER Aggregator businesses. The focus is on demand response aggregation. The paper was written in 2010, before smart inverters and the control protocols (IEEE 2030.5) required to tie them together. The paper includes an extensive survey of existing DER Aggregator businesses in USA and Australia.
- DER Business Plan
DIY Solar Power projects: Solar power systems can be built on your own at your own home.
- DIY Solar Grid Tie: The Secret to Getting Approved!
- DIY Solar Panels - make your own solar panels for half the price Instructions on taking a stack of solar cells and constructing a solar panel.
- Enphase Microinverters: Small AC inverters meant to be integrated directly with solar panels.
DIY Solar Hot Water projects: Solar Hot Water systems can be built on your own at your own home.
- DIY Solar Hot Water heating systems With some metal tubing and simple construction techniques it is possible to build a simple solar-powered hot water heater. The basic idea is to build a simple wooden frame incorporating two elements - metal tubing through which water flows - a system to passively focus sunlight on the metal tube. For example a simple-to-construct parabolic mirror focuses an intense amount of light on a specific place. Or a simple wood/glass frame collects heat behind the glass. Most of these plans are flawed in one way - they are not integrated with a regular home hot water heater.
- SpinRay Energy Solar Generator and Battery Backup Systems A manufacturer of a "plug-and-play" solar panel system.
Energy Storage Systems
- Liquid Metal Batteries For Electricity Storage Inexpensive batteries made from liquid metal could store electricity from solar panels, wind farms.
- Energy Storage Requirements for Achieving 50% Solar Photovoltaic Energy Penetration in California Solar power in California is taking off in a big way, and will shortly be playing a major role in its electricity grid. Therefore energy storage is required in California so Solar deployment can continue. This paper explores how much electricity storage resources are required to make this reality.
Vehicle-Grid-Integration, Vehicle-2-Grid, V2G, etc
- Vehicle - Grid Integration: A Vision for Zero-Emission Transportation Interconnected throughout California’s Electricity System Plug-in electric vehicles are proliferating in California. Their adoption is essential for the transformation of California's transportation system. However, their nature as mobile electrical loads places a challenge in front of electrical system coordinators.
Virtual Power Plants
- Con Edison REV Demonstration Project Outline: Clean Virtual Power Plant Con Edison and SunPower are teaming up to build a 'virtual power plant' from a widespread network of residential solar power plus storage systems. SunPower will operate a NOC and run the system.
- CONEdison 2016
Wind power systems
- US National Wind Strategy announced Sept 9, 2016 The US Depts of Energy and Interior jointly released a document outlining the National Wind Strategy. It's an excellent plan, noting that the U.S. has abundant capability to generate electricity with Wind-powered turbines.
- The "Archimedes" spiral axis wind turbines, based on the nautilus shell shape An ingenious new wind turbine design based on interesting mathematical principles.
- Vertical axis versus horizontal axis wind turbines About vertical and horizontal axis wind turbines - orientation is important